Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Yorkshire Two Peaks


On a cold but beautifully sunny day, myself, Julie L and the Swift brothers headed off t’Yorkshire to run two of the Yorkshire Three Peaks. 
We parked up at Horton in Ribblesdale and met up with Chris B who is living in Settle.  Chris drove us over to Ribblehead where we started our journey.


The first peak was Whernside which was quite a gentle runnable ascent.  Unfortunately, Chris had to leave us before we got to the top as he was on a strict time limit imposed by his good lady wife.  After saying our farewells we continued on our way and finally reached the summit where we had a chat to a couple of girls who were sat drinking mugs of tea which we were pretty jealous of. 
We then made our way along to Ingleborough, which was another gentle ascent to start with but then became more of a scramble as we climbed our way up to the top.  After having felt really tired and lacking in energy at the beginning of our outing, I started to come into my own at this point and motored my way up the rocky climb.  Once I get into a stride I don’t really like to break it as then I find it harder to get going again so I just carried on ahead. 
I reached the gate and went through it and then saw that there was still another steep climb to come.  I had thought I was at the top but no such luck.  I continued up the next climb using my hands as well because I was so tired and then final got to the easily runnable table top.  Even though I was close to collapse at this point, I made a point of running all the way to the trig point.  I would have been rude not to really.  I then had a sit down with some walkers who were in awe at the fact that I was running when they had struggled to even walk.  The object of their awe and respect then turned to John, who I pointed out as he came up onto the table top in the distance and told them of his age.  They just couldn’t believe it and were completely gobsmacked.  Next Ed and Julie appeared and one of the walkers was then impressed by the fact that Ed was not only running, but was wearing shorts in this cold weather! 
After chilling out a bit at the top, the final descent began.  It was quite steep and rocky at first as we went down the same side as we had come up but it then got nice and easy going and the five miles back to Horton passed very quickly. 




Yet another brilliant day with awesome people.  Really enjoyed it and thanks very much to Julie for driving us all there, much appreciated. 
Bring on the next one!
Total distance – 14.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment